Oedema, or edema, occurs usually during pregnancy and involves the buildup of fluid in areas of the body such as the ankles, legs and feet. Women who experience oedema may also experience irritation and discomfort in their feet and ankles. Solutions for treating oedema include cutting down on salt and sugar intake as well as drinking more water. Other treatment options are to reduce carbohydrates in your diet and apply apple cider vinegar or coconut oil to affected areas.
Pregnant women are susceptible to aching and swollen feet and should be treated with care. If you are seeking treatment, consult with Dr. LeKeisha George from Forest Hills Podiatric Medical Care. Dr. George will assist you with all of your podiatric concerns.
What foot problems can arise during pregnancy?
One problem that can occur is over-pronation, which occurs when the arch of the foot flattens and tends to roll inward. This can cause pain and discomfort in your heels while you’re walking or even just standing up, trying to support your baby.
Another problem is edema, or swelling in the extremities. This often affects the feet during pregnancy, but tends to occur in the later stages.
How can I keep my feet healthy during pregnancy?
- Wearing orthotics can provide extra support for the feet and help distribute weight evenly
- Minimize the amount of time spent walking barefoot
- Wear shoes with good arch support
- Wear shoes that allow for good circulation to the feet
- Elevate feet if you experience swelling
- Massage your feet
- Get regular, light exercise, such as walking, to promote blood circulation to the feet
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Forest Hills, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.