Research has indicated it typically takes a child's foot approximately eighteen years to fully develop. Many children are active and enjoy running, jumping, and dancing, and this may help the bones and muscles to gradually become stronger. It is beneficial for children to wear shoes and socks that fit properly, which may include making sure there is adequate room for the toes to move freely in. Walking barefoot indoors may help the arches and toes to become stronger, and this may positively affect the overall health of the foot. The growth rate of a baby’s foot is fastest during the first three years, and proper measuring should occur every six to eight weeks. Many children are born with flat feet, and the arches will eventually develop. If you notice the arch is not forming as it should, or if your child complains of foot pain, it is suggested to seek the counsel of a podiatrist who can properly assist you in determining the cause of any foot discomfort your child may have.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact Dr. LeKeisha George from Forest Hills Podiatric Medical Care. Dr. George can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of intoeing or outtoeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water, and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our offices located in Forest Hills, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.
Read more about children’s foot health